Sunday, May 3, 2015

Screen Free Week

As I relearned about myself a few weeks back reviewing our Myers-Brigg personality types on our Easter break car ride home... (ESTJ but borderline T/F) I know I handle life well with rules/routines/challenges/facts to drive my life but it was good and eye opening to read about ourselves as parents too!

Anyway, when I heard about Screen Free Week May 4-10 last week with my students, I definitely thought I wanted to try this week with my own goals along with challenging my students. I love technology, but I love people and my family interacting so increasing that is the goal!

It is up to each to set what they want their goals to be, and I feel like this is a "cheating" week for me to do it in someways as I'm just going to be busy with 3 golf meets.  (And I had 3 hours in the car to read all my blogs/articles/social media and am watching Grey's while I type this! Ha!) But it was good to reread my "Unwired" blog/challenge I did almost two years ago and it is good for me to reflect on how I'm doing now with goals from then.

My goals for this week:

1) No TV/DVR'd shows  (more books!)
2) Phone is for texting, calling (preferred... going to try calling more than texting), gps, and camera only.
3) After Dec is asleep, 15 minutes on personal computer for email responses, bills and if any time left over social media scroll.  This is still a great improvement from 3-5 scrolls a day on phone and will be a challenge for me.  Maybe I will do none, but being honest.
4) Screens for work are ok but I'm going to try to stay super productive on them and limit my students this week on computer work!

As with anything that is hard, challenges are better with friends so let me know if you are going to try some screen free goals!





No comments:

Post a Comment