Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Downsizing my wardrobe

Moving has made me really look at how much STUFF we have and barely or never use.  I have downsized, threw out, donated and gotten tables/boxes for a 5$ fill a bag sale started.

But I have been putting off my closet and dresser and 3 boxes as long as possible.  A) Because it petrifies me.  B) Being in between sizes with my after-baby belly I am not sure what I will need!  C) Because I can always justify keeping things.

So, to conquer this I decided first to make a list of the number of items I'd allow myself and then I would try to pick my favorites and things that fit the best.  I still have things from college and even high school that need to just go!  This list is much bigger than a true minimalist wardrobe but it was my start! Just guessing before I even start pulling everything out I will be down at least half my clothes.

My list:
3 pairs of jeans
4 pairs of dress pants
2 long dress skirts
2 short dress skirts
3 summer dresses
3 formal dresses
5 summer shorts/capris
3 golf skirts/shorts
4 pj pants/shorts
4 workout pants/shorts

33 bottoms

4 sweatshirts
3 sweaters
5 long sleeve dress shirts
3 long sleeve workout shirts
10 t-shirts (workout/pj/comfortable wear)
4 short sleeve dress shirts
4 tank tops
5 polos
4 tank top polos

38 tops


Before Closets/boxes/drawers Chaos:





The process wasn't bad once I actually just did it... Kind of like every organizing task we all dread. Anything that was old, stained, frayed it was easy to choose and to toss.  And just asked the questions, "Do I wear them over other similar items... Do I like how I look/feel in them?"     But I did fail at keeping exact numbers do to hurrying and some justifying.  Especially summer clothes as I didn't get to wear lots of them this summer to know.  I still definitely feel free of so many and know I'll be able to do more again.  And when I do need and want to buy some new things something else goes! It actually feels so so good to have less!  It is amazing!



After:





Saw this on Pinterest and like it so far.  Don't have to actually snap the shower curtain rings so easy to put back on and off. 







We will see how putting away the clothes goes after half the clothes are dirty and I feel like they could fall over more.  AndI did buy a folder like in retail stores for 13 bucks and that was so worth it already!

If you want to give something like this a try, click to read about this Minimalist Wardrobe.

And, here was the youtube tutorial I watched for folding clothes/putting in drawers standing up.


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I bet you'll keep weeding more out as you go. I folded my clothes this way too. I wish I'd discovered it sooner.

    ReplyDelete